Saturday, October 10, 2009

Another Day, Another Sleepless Night...

I was complaining to a friend yesterday about how I was almost switched over from night to day shift, but not quite. I realized that after I woke up at 11pm this evening and passed four more sleepless hours, that I am not even CLOSE to being "almost switched over from night to day shift". I am so far from it, I may as well be running the clock in reverse. It's not like it's going to make any sense to me either way.

I'm flying to Boston today for my eagerly anticipated vacation, but I have to drive the 2+ hours to the New Orleans airport to catch the plane that I booked at a much cheaper rate. I sincerely hope there is a coffee shop in the terminal open at 5 am, because I'm in the mood to hit the road now and I'll be needing someplace comfortable to crash with my laptop full of distractions for the 6 hours before my flight takes off.

I have discovered that when arriving at the rig, it takes me roughly 2-3 nights to reach the stage where it is no longer excruciatingly painful to stay awake from the proscribed 6pm-6am hours, but shifting back after arriving home takes no less than 1 - 1.5 weeks before I can make any sort of plans at times other than 2-7am that I can be assured to be awake for. By that estimate, I should be back to normal sometime between this coming Tuesday through Friday. My return flight is scheduled for early Sunday morning, and I expect to be back to the rig the Tuesday after.

Perhaps this is not the optimal state to be traveling to a different time zone in, but I can hardly get any worse, right? On second thought, scratch that statement. It is distressingly thick with what may be interpreted as a tempt to fate.

3 comments:

rainsnowman said...

Enjoy your short stay back home, and try to tons of EDAMAME, which, you know, is originally from Niigata. Stay Genki.

Otosan & Okasan

Heids said...

EDAMAME from Niigata? I had no idea. No wonder Holly loves them so much

Holly Bee said...

Wow! I didn't realize Edamame were also from Niigata. All the best foods come from Niigata, it seems!

Now I want some tofu...