Friday, April 2, 2010

Happiness

Yesterday I returned to the same rig that I've been working on since February, and people seemed happy to see me return. I suppose this rubbed off on me since just this morning one of the drillers mentioned that I seemed happy to be back on the rig! I was momentarily puzzled by this observation.

NOBODY is happy to come back to the rig. With the rare exception of a man who's relieved to escape trouble at home, the rig is generally a place of hardship, privation, noise and stress and coming to the rig means giving up a lot of personal freedoms.

So why was I so happy? And examining my feelings I have to say that Yes, I am happy to be back. There are a number of reasons I can name. The friendly welcome I received was certainly a mood-booster, and I'm always happier when returning to a rig I know and feel comfortable on. I know the crew and I know the rhythm of the job out here -- no new-job jitters for me today.

I'm also still enjoying the leftover pleasure from my weekend in California: being with Meg and helping throw a bridal shower in her honor was truly balm to my soul. I've been feeling trapped in Louisiana lately, and getting out of the state and spending time with people I love really refreshed me.

Not even the worry of running a tool I've never seen before is getting to me (yet). I was unexpectedly lucky when my previous night hand was stolen away to go to another job, because the only other guy available for me this week was someone with almost twice the experience as I! He's perfectly happy to be here, since he been twiddling his thumbs waiting on a job that won't be starting for likely another 2 more weeks. Plus he used to be considered the go-to guy for this particular tool (the one I've never seen before) and I'm learning a lot about it from him.

Maybe it's the thought in the back of my head that's reminding me this might be my last rig visit ever. I'm counting down the days until I turn in my two weeks' notice and my heart is pounding in anticipation. I'm certainly distracting myself sufficiently with all the plans and preparations I'm making these days.

Today I read an article about a study that determined people are more likely to be happy with their jobs when they were already satisfied with their lives, and are not as likely to find satisfaction with their lives when their jobs made them happy.

Of course, I also got a good eight hours of sleep last night which could be as big a factor as any of these reasons.

Whatever it is, I'm hoping I can ride this good mood for a while yet to come.